An international online conference was jointly organized by the International Scientific-Research Center of Imam Termizi (Termiz), IRCICA, and the Center of Islamic Civilization in Uzbekistan Under the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan (Tashkent), on the theme “The Place of Termiz in the History of Islamic Civilization”, on 16 December 2020.
Termiz is one of the historical cities of Uzbekistan which gave birth to prominent Islamic scholars in such fields as Quranic exegesis, studies on the Hadith, jurisprudence, Sufi theory and Sufi spiritualism.
Opening addresses were delivered by Mr. Bahodir Qodirov, Deputy Governor of Surkhandaryo Region; Dr. Muzaffar Komilov, Vice-Chairman of the Committee on Religious Affairs; Vice-Mufti Homidjon Ishmatbekov, Vice-Chairman of the Muslim Board of Uzbekistan, Prof. Halit Eren, Director General, IRCICA, Dr. Shoazim Minovarov, Director of the Center for Islamic Civilization in Uzbekistan (Tashkent), Dr. Shovosil Ziyodov, Director of Imam Bukhari International Scientific Research Center (Samarkand); Dr. Shukrilla Umarov, Director of Imam Termizi International Scientific-Research Center.
In his address, Director General of IRCICA Prof. Dr. Halit Eren underlined some marking characteristics of Islamic scholarship in Termiz and referred to major scholars and their seminal contributions in diverse areas. He said that IRCICA, the cultural research centre of the OIC, has the mission to promote the academic study of the history and heritage of Islamic civilization and highlight the development process of this civilization in different regions of the world. To this aim, the Centre organizes activities jointly with cultural authorities and universities of different countries, he explained, and gave examples of earlier IRCICA events similar to the present conference such as the international conferences on “Baghdad in Islamic Civilization” (2008) and “Konya in Islamic Civilization” (2016) which were co-organized with different universities.
At the end of the opening session, a Memorandum of Understanding for Cooperation was signed between IRCICA and Imam Termizi International Scientific-Research Center.
11 research papers were presented by participants from India, Iraq, Tajikistan, Turkey and Uzbekistan.
The papers addressed themes related to, but not limited to, the following:
- History and scientific environment of Termiz
- Historical and geographical description of Termiz in the Islamic literature
- Spread of Islam in the region and formation of the local Islamic schools in Termiz
- Reflection of Islamic civilization processes in material and written culture
- Scholars from Termiz and their scientific and practical legacy in the persons of Abu Ja‘far al-Termizi, Imam al
- Termizi, al-Hakim al-Termizi, Abu Bakr al-Warraq al-Termizi, Sayyid Burhan al-Din al-Termizi, al-Adib Sabir al-Termizi, Khoja Samandar al-Termizi, Sufi Allahyar, and others.
- Sayyids of Termiz: Genealogies of Termizi Sayyids, “Sultan Sa‘odat” Architectural-Memorial Complex in Termiz, cultural activities of Sayyids in Termiz and the whole Islamic world